July 1, 2012

Trying New Adventures

(I started this post last night and just barely didn't finish it so it's getting posted today instead)



It's been a very hot and humid last couple of days!  I started the day off feeding at the old barn since Terri and the mounted games crew are at MGAA finals (I think).  I haven't ridden Ramona for a few days so I tacked her up for a quick ride.  Ramona was most recently ridden by a very timid and easy intimidated adult beginner rider when her usual horse had thrown his shoe.  I really hope Ramona was good for her, but I haven't heard anything yet.

I sort of wonder if the ride did not go well (Ramona apparently was "the devil" for the last adult beginner who rode her) because as I was walking Ramona out to the ring she suddenly stopped and started doing these ridiculous buck/rear combinations that made me feel like I was riding some odd mechanical bull.  I gave her the benefit of a doubt and thought that maybe a horse fly bit her or something, but when she did it again in response to me asking her to walk forward I got the impression she was trying to get out of working.

Sorry little black horse, that crap doesn't work with me.  Ramona ended up in the ring and was decent for trotting.  She started to throw a fit when I made her canter on a circle (too much work I guess).  I was a little surprised she was so bad... it's been a very long time since she pulled anything like that with me.  I don't think it was a saddle/tack/pain thing, I think she was just trying to get out of work.  I realized as we were walking out to the ring that I didn't grab a crop today like usual.  She's pretty darn smart, I think she's learned it's not worth fighting when I carry a crop, so maybe that was the issue.  Or maybe she got out of work with the other rider, who knows.


The exciting part of the ride is when I decided to pop her over a jump or two and she instantly focused and cut all the bucking out.  I jumped a bit more, and suddenly instead of fighting her to hold a canter she was forward and was practically offering a one step simple change without me even asking.  She felt much happier and interested... I think the pony legitimately likes to jump.  =-)   We ended on a good note including not knocking as many verticals down.





I then ran out to see Prince who I hadn't seen for a day or so.  I can tell that Friday was a really hot day because Prince was covered in dried sweat.



It was hot at that point so I didn't want to do much with him.  Instead I decided to try something I haven't tried in several years- riding him bridle-less and bareback.  I left a halter on him but instead of tying a lead rope to it I looped a thin lead rope around his neck.

The last time I tried this I very quickly found out that I had minimal steering and absolutely NO brakes.  I ended up jumping off him as he trotted around and haven't tried since.


Today I first worked on reviewing our vocal commands and introducing the neck rope idea.  Prince seemed to get it, so for the second half of the ride I dropped it and just rode him entirely off my voice and legs.  It took us (and by that I mostly mean me) some time to figure out the steering, but once we got it figured out he was pretty good!  By the end of the ride I was able to steer him in figure-8's at the trot.  I'll have to get a video of it once we get a tiny bit better.  I'm really excited about this new goal!



Prince earned a good bath after the ride.  These pictures are from several weeks ago, but I've never gotten around to posting them and I promise that today looked basically the same (except I didn't tie Prince to the fence because he untied himself while I was getting the hose out and wandered off.  Made me very glad the entire property is fenced in).







I like all the water droplets in this one.  And Prince's cute face.


Prince says, "ugh, keep that water away from my face"


Prince really hates getting his face wet and I don't usually force the issue, but it's been getting so sweaty and this hose has a nice misting option on it.  Oddly enough Prince loves getting sprayed in the mouth, he'll stand there with the hose in his mouth on full blast and loves it.  (Oh and his halter has a safety release on it just in case he really gets upset about the water).






What a fantastic horse.  =-)


2 comments:

  1. Haha, I love that caption and picture of Prince not wanting the water in his face, priceless! Also good job with Ramona, that little stinker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work riding Prince bareback and bridle-less, I am working on that with Poppy as well lately.
    Gorgeous pictures. Prince is so handsome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them!

-Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...