July 23, 2012

A Lesson with Big Red

I had a lesson yesterday on Zeke, the four year old Belgian warmblood who is for sale but is worth far more than I will be able to afford for a very long time.



I've hacked Zeke since my last lesson and I've been impressed with how much improvement he's been showing.  He was pretty strong the first time I rode him, and very bouncy, but recently he's settled into a much calmer pace.

Jumping did not go all that well unfortunately.  I had forgotten my gloves at home and by the time we were jumping both Zeke's neck and the braided leather reins were both dripping sweat.  I couldn't hold onto the reins to save my life, and the first couple courses I got so distracted with constantly trying to regroup my reins that I forgot to ride the horse with the rest of my body and it was a wreck.

Our best course came when I sort of said "screw it" and let the reins go.  I focused instead on riding him with my seat and legs like he needs and sure enough we had a much better round.  Lesson learned.


I'm castrating a horse tomorrow, fingers crossed it all goes well!

3 comments:

  1. Zeke is a nice looking horse :) Good Luck for tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't if it's just that he's wet, but Zeke looks like a liver chestnut with two hind socks, so I automatically love him. ;-)

    Good luck tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is why I love your blog... Photo of a gorgeous (wet) horse who you've gotten to ride. I'm jealous, as usual. Things went pretty well, except you had trouble with slipping reins. You try something different, and wind up with a good course.

    And then, BAM, you announce you're chopping the balls off an animal! LOLOL, only here would I read that! But good luck, I'm sure your BF will never feel safe again once you've mastered this technique. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them!

-Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...