July 30, 2012

Lesson & Another New Horse

I had a lesson on Saturday on a new horse.

But first, some bittersweet news, Morgan has been officially sold.  It's sad, but also exciting that I was able to take an almost unbroke horse and put enough basic training on her that someone would want to buy her.  She was bought by a very nice couple who will take good care of her, so I'm pleased with that.

Other sad (to me) news is that Zeke has again left the barn to go out on a trial.  I rode him the day before he left and it was our best ride to date.  If only he could stay longer.. he really makes me ride better and more correctly.    Sigh.

I did get a few quick pictures with my cell phone before he left, they aren't the best though.




Isn't the white around his snip odd looking?  I've never seen that before.





The new lesson horse is an OTTB named Bentley.  He raced for 7-8 years, had some retraining and was supposedly WTC and jumping around (maybe even small shows?).  He is here on a trial to see if he fits in at the barn.  I don't have any pictures of him, but he's a large bay with a little star.

Bentley is an interesting ride.  He's very tense and wound up, but at the same time he doesn't actually DO much.  When he gets really upset he starts cantering in place and he feels like he is about to explode but he doesn't actually get that far.  Lots of little circles, talking to him, trying to calm him down.

For a horse who supposedly has jumped around he started out as a disaster.  He absolutely would NOT jump/walk/approach the cross-rail.  Finally I followed close behind another horse and he followed her over it.  He acted like he's been caught in the mouth over the fence and hauled up afterwards and was very defensive, so we think he has some post traumatic stress issues.

We had a few other fences that I had to follow someone else over, and I have to be honest, I thought we were totally wasting our time at first.  Clearly the horse does not like jumping, and he's not going to stay at the barn if he can't do lessons.

However, as the lesson went on and I did my best to stay out of his face, Bentley relaxed A LOT.  It still wasn't pretty, but we were able to easily get around and he jumped the roll-top on our first attempt.  I rode him again yesterday on the flat and he was much more relaxed.  So maybe he just needs to get used to it and learn what we want from him?

Terri said I can keep riding him and jump him around as much as I want to see how much he improves over the next week or so.  Yay for another project (albeit likely a temporary one).

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the horses selling and going out on trial. That white around Bentley's snip almost looks like he's roaning out! Hopefully he relaxes under your tutelage. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have noticed with OTTB riders in my area that people don't release on them enough so a lot of times they get caught in the mouth and get sore. Or just run thru it. Poor guy. Glad he is relaxing tho and hopefully he continues to improve. Congrats on the sale of Morgan even tho I am sure it is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I'll miss hearing about your rides on Morgan. I'm glad she's got a good home, though. I think Bentley will improve. Horses need time to defrag and adjust and figure out what on earth they are supposed to be doing. I hope he gets more than a week to show what he can do when he's comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw Bentley sounds like a certain Bay someone I know. Sometimes, they do opt to stand still and implode vs explode, it's odd. Laz does it, and so far, has never fully bolted. He'll stop and shake instead. Odd but I find if I allow it and not force movement, it's better for his personality. Maybe Bentley is similar? What fun project ponies u have right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll miss reading about Morgan, but how proud you must be that you helped put that much training on her! It'll be fun to hear more about Bentley though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Morgan, at least she's gone to a good home.
    Can't wait to hear more about Bentley.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them!

-Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...