July 2, 2012

Bareback & Bridleless



The two hardest parts:

1)  Getting on Prince in the middle of the field

2)  Convincing him to start walking again after he stops and starts eating grass




Yesterday Prince was being pretty good so I took off his neck rope to see how much control I had.  Steering at the trot is pretty good, steering at the canter is not really there at all.  Brakes are mostly all vocal right now, but he was listening pretty well.

The biggest problem is that when I ask him to walk he starts sneaking bites of grass, and from there will just stop and eat.  When we are trotting he's great, but he doesn't seem to think he's still working when we are walking.


Here's a short video for you guys, sorry it's not zoomed in more.  Also, Prince takes a few bad steps but he's not looking too bad lameness-wise huh?






Good boy pats



So, not exactly bareback reining or anything impressive, but it still feels pretty cool to be riding your horse like this and mostly be able to get him to do what you want!

5 comments:

  1. You guys look so good!! How awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, you guys look so cool! I'm jealous. I tried it once with Winston in the round pen. Went pretty well at the walk until he realized he could trot and I didn't have much say. :-) What a good boy Prince is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great seat! I done quite a bit of bareback but have not been brave enough to try the bridle-less on my 5 yr old...maybe someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am both impressed by your pony skills and your core strength!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're very inspiring! We get stuck in a rut of saddle and bridle being _necessary_ for riding...thank you for reminding me to expand my horizon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment, I love reading them!

-Jess

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...